Winning at life has little to do with luck and a lot to do thoughtful effort. If you want to join the ranks of the winners, here are 20 rules that can help you get there:
1. Never stop working on the details. They eventually matter.
2. Pretend like someone is always watching you. They usually are.
3. Never let small successes get in the way of learning something new. You’ll need it later.
4. Spend time developing a skill. Spend even more time developing will. You need it more.
5. Apologize sincerely. The faster the better.
6. Live outraged or blissful. Anything in the middle is just mediocrity.
7. Learn how to take the pain of progress. You’re going to get banged up along the way.
8. Be willing to do whatever it takes to be successful. That’s what it takes.
9. Ignore what you “should” be doing and do it your way. It’s your life after all.
10. Be deliberately grateful. It will change your outlook for the better.
11. Obsess about the possibility you could be even more amazing. And you will be.
12. Dig deep. Get emotional about your goals. You need that fuel to win.
13. Surround yourself with people who are better than you at what you want to be the best at.
14. Do one thing that matters each day. It adds up to something awesome over time.
15. Avoid negative people. At all costs. Even if they are family or friends.
16. Read. Read. Read. Read. Read … Discover something awesome to make your life better.
17. Get help. Invest in the best help you can afford and do what they say. It matters.
18. Stop saying “I can’t” and “I shouldn’t” or “I don’t feel like it.” Just get it done.
19. Don’t confusing awards with winning. The real reward happens before awards are handed out.
20. Stay fit — financially, physically, and mentally. Always be ready to be a hero.
Authors: Dan Waldschmidt
Dan Waldschmidt is an international business strategist, speaker, author, and extreme athlete. His consulting firm solves complex marketing and business strategy problems for savvy companies all over the world. Dow Jones calls his Edgy Conversations blog one of the top sales sites on the internet. He’s been profiled in Business Week, INC Magazine, BBC, Fox News, The Today Show, and Business Insider, has been the featured guest on dozens of radio programs, and has published hundreds of articles on progressive business strategy.